Sometimes life throws you a curveball and you get thrown to the ground. It helps to have tools to work with difficult emotions.
It can be the hardest thing in the world to stay present through difficult emotions, and most of us check out at some point, choosing mindless distraction over quiet acceptance.
The most important thing to recognize about these experiences is that they are just a set of sensations. When you can experience intense emotion as simply bodily sensation, you can move it through the body to release them.
The most important practice you can do to work with difficult emotions is to learn to identify and tolerate them in the body. Staying with the sensations is challenging, but imperative as the first step to being able to work with, and eventually discharge them.
Because whatever is unfinished will keep repeating itself until we finally work through it, we invite our worst case scenarios into our life again and again and again. Contemplative counseling is a method of using mind training techniques to help work with difficult emotions.
Click the links below to learn more about what that looks like:
- Emergency Tool Kit: How to Work with Difficult Emotions
- How to Reinvent Yourself
- Why Do We Suffer? (And How to Stop)
Contemplative counseling is about turning the mind from a reactive (or sleeping) mechanism into a creative tool in your life using a variety of traditional and contemporary methods. I work 1-on-1 in person or by phone or Skype with counseling clients. All of the sessions will include mindfulness practices and “homework”, essentially practices to observe during the week between sessions. Mindfulness practices are the foundation to create the changes you want in your career, relationships and emotional life.
I am a trained psychotherapist, a certified yoga and meditation teacher and counselor with two decades of experience helping people navigate challenging states of mind. There are tools to help you.
Does your mind torment you with thoughts like these?
- Why can’t I get a grip?
- Why am I so unhappy/anxious/sad/angry all the time?
- How can I manage my anger (sadness, depression, cravings)?
- I’m so uptight! How can I learn to relax?
- I need a big change, and I have no idea what or how.
- I am so confused. How do I know where to turn?
- What’s the point when the planet is going to hell in a handbasket. Why bother?
Or maybe you are working with something more acute, like a recent divorce, death in the family, or an accident, or an ongoing sense of confusion about what to do with yourself.
You don’t have to do it alone.
Online counseling can have very powerful results when four factors are present:
- If you have a strong motivation to look honestly at your present situation
- If you notice a gaping hole between where you are now, and where you would like to be
- If you are open, ready and willing to make the necessary shifts to get to where you want to be
- If you are willing to take action to achieve your desired results
I provide an ongoing partnership to help you fulfill your personal and professional goals.
So whether you want some help adjusting to a new phase of your life, or you need some tools to help you through a difficult situation, contemplative coaching may be your ticket. “Contemplative” counseling simply means that I’ll give you practices to do on your own that will help you take a clear look at your mind, to see where you are tripping yourself up. After an initial consultation, we’ll create a map based on where you want to go, identify habits and practices to effectuate change, and then meet weekly to keep you on target. Write me if you have questions and we can set up a free half hour consultation over the phone or via Skype.
Online counseling vs. In-person counseling
Why coaching can be more efficient over the phone or Skype…
- Practicality. You may don’t have to leave your home or office. Also my methods are very practical, and you will leave each session with practical tools for working with difficult emotions.
- Ease. You can attend your session in your office or conference room at work, or at home, or even while traveling. Given that most of us these days are extremely busy, this small detail can be a literal life saver.
- Confidentiality. Some people find working online a bit more comfortable than working in person. You may find it gives you the freedom to really talk about your life and what is going on. All of our conversations will be completely confidential.
Contact me to set up a FREE 20 minute initial consultation: