Thanks so much for joining our community. My aim is to share with you my very best tools, tips, inspiration and resources for you to stay happy, grounded and sane in a world gone mad. Here is your first tool:
10 Daily Habits For Mental Health and Emotional Equilibrium
- Develop Routines. Daily practices and disciplines help show you when and where you tend to get thrown off. They are tools to help monitor your state of mind from day to day.
- Tune In To Your Body. Maintain a Healthy Diet and Exercise. Eating well affects your mood and energy levels. Monitor alcohol and stop smoking. Move your body regularly. Energies get stagnant, and need to be moved out of the places where they accumulate. You know all this; make a practice of identifying how different nutrients affect you and use this information to self-regulate.
- Connect with Nature. Nature heals. She will help you learn to identify signals your body sends you about both your inner world and your outer environment.
- Breathe! The breath is your direct link to your internal source of wisdom. Learn to be aware of it on a regular basis and you will be rewarded with greater calm and insight.
- Express Yourself. Find a creative outlet and DO it! Artistic expression allows the thinking mind to rest so you can access your intuition. You don’t have to have talent; the process itself is the work of art.
- Identify and Maintain Healthy Relationships. This may evolve as you do. The point is to recognize people who support your growth, and those who don’t. Spend more time and energy with the former.
- Watch your speech. This is a hard one. It’s common practice for us to discuss others. Just be aware of how you do this. Think of the golden rule: treat others as you would like them to treat you. Gossiping reflects more on the person doing it.
- Set Intentions. Each day we evolve into another version of ourselves. In order for this evolution to be positive, consciously identify the direction you are taking. Find a purpose in life and see if your actions are supporting you toward this end or not. Identifying intentions on a daily — or momentary — basis will help you harness and direct the power of your mind.
- Learn to Focus Your Attention. Meditation is a powerful tool. Stabilize your awareness in the present moment. Recognize the clarity that keeps your awareness vivid. Repeat again and again. To learn a formal meditation technique click here.
- Practice Gratitude. This one practice could change your life overnight. No matter what your troubles are, there is something you can be grateful about — even if it’s only a cookie. Find something to be grateful for, let it fill your heart, and dwell in that feeling. The benefits of this practice are profound.
You can apply these 10 simple and practical tools to your own life, to help you maintain calm, clarity and focus when life presents challenges or change.
This 10 step map is essentially the model I follow with my clients who want to develop and maintain mental and emotional balance on a daily basis. Click here if you’d like to make a change.