Sometimes life throws you a curveball and you get thrown to the ground. It helps to have tools to work with difficult emotions. I’ll share those tools with you.
It can be the hardest thing in the world to stay present through difficult emotions, and most of us check out at some point, choosing mindless distraction over quiet acceptance.
The most important thing to recognize about these experiences is that they are just a set of sensations. When you can experience intense emotion as simply bodily sensation, you can move it through the body to release them.
So the most important practice you can do to work with difficult emotions is to learn to read them in the body. Staying with the sensations is challenging, but imperative as the first step to being able to work with, and eventually discharge them.
Because whatever is unfinished will keep repeating itself until we finally work through it, we invite our worst case scenarios into our life again and again and again. Contemplative coaching is a method of using mind training techniques to help work with difficult emotions.
Click the links below to learn more about what that looks like:
- What To Do When You Don’t Know What To Do
- Emergency Tool Kit: How to Work with Difficult Emotions
- How to Reinvent Yourself
- Why Do We Suffer? (And How to Stop)
Contemplative coaching is about turning the mind from a reactive (or sleeping) mechanism into a creative tool in your life using a variety of traditional and contemporary methods. I work 1-on-1 in person or by phone or Skype with coaching clients. All of the sessions will include mindfulness practices and “homework”, essentially practices to observe during the week between sessions. Mindfulness practices are the foundation to create the changes you want in your career, relationships and life.
I am a trained psychotherapist, a certified yoga and meditation teacher and expat Life Coach with two decades of experience helping people navigate challenging states of mind. We have the tools to help you. Click here if you are an expat and want to learn more about coaching.
Does your mind torment you with thoughts like these?
- Why can’t I attain my goals?
- Why am I dissatisfied even when I do attain my goals?
- How can I manage my anger (sadness, depression, cravings)?
- How can I learn to really relax?
- I need a big change
- Is this all there is in life?
- What’s the point when the planet is going to hell in a handbasket. Why bother?
Or maybe you are working with something more acute, like a recent divorce, death in the family, or an accident, or an ongoing sense of confusion about what to do with yourself.
You don’t have to do it alone.
Coaching can have very powerful results when four factors are present:
- If you have a strong motivation to look honestly at your present situation
- If you notice a gaping hole between where you are now, and where you would like to be
- If you are open, ready and willing to make the necessary shifts to get to where you want to be
- If you are willing to take action to achieve your desired results
I provide an ongoing partnership to help you fulfill your personal and professional goals.
So whether you want some help adjusting to a new phase of your life, or you need some tools to help you through a difficult situation, contemplative coaching may be your ticket. “Contemplative” coaching simply means that I’ll give you practices to do on your own that will help you take a clear look at your mind, to see where you are tripping yourself up. After an initial consultation, we’ll create a map based on where you want to go, identify habits and practices to effectuate change, and then meet weekly to keep you on target. Write me if you have questions and we can set up a free half hour consultation over the phone or via skype.
Phone coaching vs. In-person Coaching
Why coaching can be more efficient over the phone or Skype…
- Practicality. You may not be able to come to Crestone, Colorado to work with me. This is no problem, as we can work just as well together on the phone or over Skype.
- Efficiency. You can attend your session in your office or conference room at work, or at home, or even while traveling. Given that most of us these days are extremely busy, this small detail can be a literal life saver. It also means you have one less excuse to avoid pursuing your dreams.
- Anonymity. Some people tend to open up more quickly when they are on the phone. You may find this anonymity gives you the freedom to really tell the truth about your life and what is going on. Also, all of our conversations will be completely confidential.
Contact me to set up an initial consultation: