One of the things I have loved most about living in Thailand is the abundance of fresh young coconuts. I drink at least one a day, usually in my morning raw cacao smoothie.
Raw cacao is filled with magnesium – one of the best sources – and this mineral is deficient in many people. Stress depletes magnesium, as does excessive caffeine and alcohol intake, so if you are stressed, over-caffeinated or drinking one-too-many glasses of wine with your meal, then you might also be magnesium deficient. When the body lacks magnesium, all sorts of unpleasant things can happen, from insomnia to anxiety to osteoporosis.
The addition of soaked seeds and nuts makes this a complete nutritional powerhouse.
People have asked me for this recipe for a while, so here finally is a rough version of it. Feel free to improvise according to what you have in the kitchen.
Delicious, Nutritious Coconut and Raw Cacao Smoothie Recipe:
- 1 fresh young coconut, water and flesh (if not available, then coconut milk also works)
- 1 ripe banana
- small handful of seeds, soaked overnight. I use chia, sesame, flax, sunflower and pumpkin
- small handful of almonds, soaked overnight and drained (or brazil nuts or cashews, but these should only be soaked for 2 hours)
- a small handful of dates, soaked overnight
- pinch of sea salt
- half teaspoon of vanilla powder or extract
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of agave or coconut sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon of raw cacao nibs
- cold water to achieve desired consistency
Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender and marvel at how drinking a “chocolate milkshake” can make you feel so good! Usually this is enough for 2 servings, and you can store it in a glass container for another 2 days.
If I have an early start the next day and know I’ll need a quick breakfast, I make this the night before, fill a Mason jar and stash it in my cooler for the drive.
Please enjoy and share this recipe! And let me know if you have your own variations.
Get Your Free Checklist
Get Weekly Tools, Tips, Inspiration And Resources
Delivered To Your Inbox, Starting With This Free Checklist
10 Daily Habits For Mental Health And Emotional Equilibrium